So you're angry about the election and say you want to secede? Let's talk about it first.
There has been a wave of petitions to the White House seeking to allow states to secede from the Union following the reelection of President Obama.
States from which citizens have filed secession petitions include: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming - that's 36 states.
And while these are fringe ideas, from fringe people (the Alabama one was created by the owner of a topless car wash, who is a Ron Paul supporter), which have already been disowned by prominent conservatives who have flirted with the notion of secession in the past, I feel like it's a topic worthy of exploration.
|A Reminder of What Happens When States Secede.|
1. We Answered This Question. States cannot secede from the Union. Next?
2. Have You Thought This Through? Do you know what you're getting into? Of the states that have petitioned (or really some minuscule amount of people from the state) for secession, many of them are "takers" in our country's tax and spending system.
Then there are little issues like:
- water rights,
- military bases and installations,
- border patrolling,
- electrical generation,
- science and technology,
- health care systems,
- licensing of all kinds,
- customs and immigration,
- trade policies,
- government contracting,
- federally-subsidized schools and school loans,
I've already done one post devoted entirely to the many good things our government does. But it bears repeating: there are SO MANY ways you benefit, daily, from the federal government. Yes, even you, Texas.
Are you ready for the massive tax hikes it would take to take on all of these burdens... alone?
3. What Are You Really Complaining About? President Obama is one of our most moderate presidents - as if one can be "most moderate" - but if one could, President Obama would be what that looks like. "Oh no," you say? "How could he be moderate when he's a communist socialist?" A) Go look up communism and socialism. B) Check out this study. Don't understand it? Check out this explication.
4. Quit It. You are being stupid, ungrateful, and short-sighted - and you are pissing your fellow Americans off. You like petitions? Well one that calls for people who signed petitions to secede to be deported is gaining some steam. We live in a representative democracy. Sometimes you lose. Consider yourself lucky that you live in a free country where you can spout off ignorant ideas without secret police coming to your door.
America is the best country on Earth. Those of us who are privileged to be Americans should be grateful to the people who fought and died to make it so.
U-S-A. U-S-A. Love it or leave it. Good luck becoming Canadian. My guess is my friends in Canada have better taste than that.